Hopefully, this rudimentary start may be of help to others researching people in Coleraine. I will likely add to it as I learn more.
Sharon Oddie Brown. June 29, 2013
Research relating to Coleraine JACKSONs
Records and other resources:
- Estate Papers: Clothworker’s Company Estate; Derry
(bishopric of) estate; Jackson estate; McClelland/Maxwell Estate. See also
Current Accounts 1683-1712 PRONI MIC/146/1-15 and rental of the manor of
Killowen date probably 1640 PRONI T/640/92. Rent receipts of tenants on
Clothworkers Proportion PRONI T/640/92. Chancery Bill listing 34 tenants
- Resolution of inhabitants of Colerain and Killowen, 1787 –
Belfast Newsletter, 2-6 February 1787.
- PRONI T724/1 Clothworkers Rental of the Manor of Killowen
- PRONI: T640/58-60, 62-82
- PRONI D/668 includes several Jackson leases in Coleraine,
as well as their correspondence when acting as agents.
- PRONI D/668/B. Rev. Robert Hezlet’s tithe and Rent Book,
Killowen Parish, 1788-
- PRONI: D.A. Chart 1622 Map of the Estate by Thomas
Raven, with information on tenants. It is also in Londonderry and the
London Companies, ed. D.A. Chart (Belfast 1828)
- PRONI D/4164/A/23.Vestry minutes are in local custody.
- PRONI: D1118 The Lane and Boyle Company Papers 1660-1971
- D1118/3/5/4 29
Sept 1752 Memorial of deed, (1) Henry Carey of Dungiven, esq., surviving
trustee of deed of 1736, (2) Richard Jackson of Coleraine, only son and
heir of William Jackson, deceased: leasehold property held from
Clothworkers' Company, and newly erected mansion house.
Indenture 27 Oct 1788 between Rt Hon Richard JACKSON of Colerain, Co.
Londonderry of one part & George HART of City of Dublin, Esq of the
other part … for £2000 pd by HART … townlands of (list) in Co.
- D1118/3/5/8. 28
Apr 1779 To David LaTouche Esq, his heirs …for £2000 Richard JACKSON …
was to pay interest only for the sum of £5000 … and also to pay George
HART interest NOTE: This is also in the Deeds
Registry: 329-368-219853, and was transcribed by Dawn Lowe, and
annotated by myself..
Memorial of deed 1752 between Henry CAREY of Dungiven, Co. Londonderry …
Esq. & Richard JACKSON of Coleraine, Co. Londonderry Esq. only son
& devisee of William JACKSON late of Coleraine … refers to
indenture of 1729 Oct 13 ..did demise and set unto Richard JACKSON late
of City of Dublin deceased … all that Mannor of Cloackworkers,
London with the appurts in the Co. of Londonderry … Manor or
Mansion House late erected … in possession of William JACKSON … and also
townlands in Londonderry… signed – Henry CAREY
Deed of annuity, (1) John O'Neill of Shanes Castle, Co. Antrim, (2)
George Jackson of Jackson Hall, Co. Londonderry, eldest son and heir of
Richard Jackson, deceased, (3) George Hart of Dublin, esq.
- The Summonizer Rolls (c 1615-1670). Lots of info on
governance. SOURCE: http://www.scribd.com/doc/94334098/londonderry
- National Archives, Dublin: MS/UR/009875.A
large collection of legal papers relating to lands, etc. in Killowen,
Coleraine, Ballyvelton, Drumboe and elsewhere in Co. Derry, with
references to the families of Jackson, Ogilby, Williamson, Orr,
Cuppage, Knox, Du Pré, etc., Lord W. Beresford, the Clothworkers Company
and Irish Society, London, 1663-1905.
Conditions in Ulster, 1714-1718. This web site describes a number of
the elements of the JACKSON tenancy.
- Limavady connection: http://www.forrestresearchservices.com/files/forrestlimavady.pdf Our family at one point had married into the Jackson family of Limavady
who were proprietors of an Ironmongers’ business in the town and who were
said to have supplied the iron railings that adorn the front of St. Columb’s
Cathedral in Derry city.
Financial troubles and the
Civil War: The Livery Companies were
often viewed as a source of ready cash by the monarchy and during the
political troubles of the seventeenth century they received many demands for
money; in 1640 and 1641 alone these requests exceeded £10,000. Unable
to meet the King’s precepts, the Company was forced to borrow from individual
members. When Civil War erupted in 1642, further demands arrived, now
from Parliament and the City. By September 1643 the Court decided:
‘Taking into their sad and serious considerations the many great pressing and
urgent occasions which they have for money as well as for the payment of
their debts as otherwise and considering the danger this City is in by reason
of the great distractions and Civil Wars of this Kingdom have thought fit and
ordered that the stock of Plate which the Company hath shall be sold at the
best rate that will be given for the same.’
Approximately two-thirds of the Company’s collection was sold, to raise a
total of £520 1s 8d. Of those pieces saved, only the rosewater dishes
given by John Burnell and John Jackson survive to this day.
During the Civil War, the Clothworkers sided with Parliament, as did the City
– indeed, the Master of the Company in 1652-1653 was Alderman Sir John Ireton
whose brother, Henry Ireton, had signed King Charles’ death warrant –
however, the Company was quick to shift allegiances when required. At
the restoration of Charles II in 1660, they went to great effort to welcome
the King into the City with suitable splendour. The Company’s trumpeter
was lent to the Guildhall; six handsome, tall and able men were lent to serve
the meat; £165 was given towards the cost of the banquet and members
lined the streets in their finest attire with cloths, banners, streamers and
ornaments resplendent around them.
SOURCE: The Clothworkers
A website with lots of
Coleraine History: The Last
The Clothworkers bawn (a stone house with a protective
wall around it) was nothing more than an Elizabethan house. The Irish Society
may have tried to dodge their commitment to build a proper bawn by using that
house. They didn’t need fortifications because their property sat parallel to
the fortified town of Coleraine. In Moody’s book he states that the
Clothworkers bawn was a mouldy ruin in 1622 and could never have been of any
When King James I granted a lease for the property to the
Clothworker’s Company in 1609 there was a cottage located on the foundations
of the Abbey of St Carbreus. William Jackson demolished the cottage and built
Jackson Hall on the foundations. It finally became known as the Manor House
and was demolished in 1984 to form part of the car park at the rear of the
County Hall. Despite having the McClelland and Jackson rebuilds well
documented we can only guess that Drumtarsy castle locations included the
foundations of St Carbreus and the Clothworkers building and the ground in
The Manor House was built in the grounds of the former
Coleraine Castle, which dated back to the 12th Century. The castle
was built nearer to the Waterside and the roadway beside the Waterside
carpark was known as Castle Lane. The Manor House also known as Jackson Hall
was dated back to 1680, but is now the site of the County Hall. Photos are in
local publications such as Memories in Focus and The Bann Disc. (see website
of the Coleraine Historical Society