LISCALGOT, Parish of Creggan,
This is a page in progress.
June 29, 2006.
Liscalgot is a townland with 220 acres within its boundaries
and is situated 2-3 km. east of Crossmaglen, just south of Creggan
Church (one can walk there by way of a path behind the church).
It is bounded on the north by Cregganbane, on the east by the
the Creggan River, on the south by Claranagh and on the west
by Urker (towards the northern part of the townland) and Drummuck
(beneath Urker). The name "Liscalgot" means either the "Champion's
Fort" or "The Fort of Stagnant Water" (depending on which source
The population of Liscalgot shrunk in Sir Thomas Jackson's
lifetime from 126 inhabitants (1841 census) to about 35. None
of the family remain in the townland, although descendants lived
at nearby Urcher Lodge as recently as the late 1970s.
The Charter School at Liscalgot opened in 1737 (SOURCE: A
Brief Review of the Rise and Progress of the Incorporated Society
in Dublin). If George JACKSON started as a schoolmaster
at this time (and this seems likely - based on family lore),
then he would have been 19 years old. Annual subscribers
for Cregane, County Armagh included Rev. Hugh HILL, Thomas TIPPING,
Randle DONALDSON, Francis HALL and John JOHNSON [Ibid.].
George JACKSON first shows up in
the Creggan Vestry records in 1742, and later in the 1766 census
and then in 1828, we see the family names of Samuel GILMER, E.
JACKSON and Thomas. Peter, Pat and Manus LOY - quite possibly
descended from the unnamed LOY who married Alice, a daughter
of George JACKSON and Margaret O'LAUGHLIN. These names continue
in future records. Beneath the map, hyperlinks to documents concerning
Liscalgot will be added as I process and post them.
Update: There is a reference in a letter dated 1880, December 1st : Liscalgot House is nearly finished. It is a better house far than Cavananore.
Sharon Oddie Brown, June 29, 2006
Updated March 14, 2010
Updated May 12, 2010 - photos added.