JACKSONs of Coolmana aka Nashe’s Quarters, Co. Carlow.
Background and Timeline of Deeds connected to Coolmana aka Nashe’s Quarter[s]:
· 1722 May 17 BURTON-BARKER 1708-1738 NOTE: Married into JACKSONs
o Lease whereby Benjamin BURTON of City of Dublin Esq. Did demise and set to Joseph BARKER of Cronesagh in the Co of Carlow Farmer all that part of Eagle Hill mearing and bounding on the north with Hacketstown on the east with Ballysallagh on the south with Cronesagh and on the west with Constable Hill containing by estimation 119 acres Plantation Measure... part of Lordship of Clonmore... Barony Rathvilly ... lives of George BARKER 3rd son of John BARKER of Old Court in Co. Wicklow aged about 8 years Simon BARKER 4th son of said John BAKER [BARKER?] aged about 5 years and Thomas BAKER [BARKER?] the youngest son of Joseph BAKER [BARKER?] aged about half a year.... in presence of Henry WHITESTONE of Hacketstown and Patrick KAHOE then servant to the said Benjamin BURTON
· 1724 March 30 BURTON-WHITESIDE
o The lands of Eagle Hill next to Hacketstown. Lands likely held by Roland DAVIES for the use of Aaron DAVIES - bounded by lands held by Wm COLEMAN & Joseph PARKER, George PARKER, also lands of Widow TAYLOR of Robert PRESLY, commonly called Henry TAYLOR - lots more in the deed, but no mention of JACKSONs. NOTE: Jacksons of Santry have a marriage of a Grace JACKSON to an Unnamed DAVIS. ALSO NOTE: PARKER is often referred to as BARKER
· 1725, April 9 This deed is recited in Deed 489-163-307720: Benjamin BURTON leased to Robert SHARP the lands of Coolamana known as Nashes Quarter, and included in the lease the 3rd son & 4th sons of Robert SHARP: Thomas and Samuel SHARP. It is also recited in Deed: 1834 8 203 : during the natural life and lives of Joseph PARKER and Abraham PARKER eldest and second sons of Abraham PARKER [aka BARKER] of Hackettstown and of Joseph PARKER [aka BARKER] being the several Cestui qui vies in the last renewal of the said recited indenture release of the ninth day of April 1725 named for and during the natural life and lives of all and every such other person and persons as pursuant to the covenant for perpetual renewal in the said indenture release of the 19th [sic? 9th?] day of April 1725.
o It seems that this Samuel SHARP had three daughters:
§ Esther who married JACKSON. Her husband was deceased before this deed.
§ Sarah who married BARKER and had a son Joseph BARKER. She was deceased before this deed.
§ Elizabeth who married ALCOCK who had a son Samuel ALCOCK. She was deceased before this deed.
· 1730 Deed: 111-368-77012 BURTON-JACKSON referring to a William JACKSON. I suspect a link to Coolamana and/or Eagle Hill, Co. Carlow.
· 1749 June 30th The name of William SALE or SALL was added to the lease of Nashe’s Quarters, and the other lives were deceased.
· 1778 May 13. Recited in 1820 Deed of Nashe’s Quarters.
· 1794- Deed 492-564-329715. This deed with Samuel JACKSON and BURTON likely involves Nashe’s Quarters.
· 1794 July 16. This deed is transcribed beneath
· 1795 July 15: ROD 528-70-345680. Indented deed of Marriage: Between Joseph JACKSON of Coolmanna County Carlow Sergeant in the County of Carlow Militia of one part. Rachel KELLY of Tombay [aka Ballintombay?] County Wicklow of the second part and Joseph Barker of Coolmana aforesaid her brother [would this be brother-in-law?] of the said Robert KELLY [Robert ?] of the second part. Reciting that the said Joseph Jackson was possessed of part of the lands of Coolmanna in the County of Carlow aforesaid called Nash’s Quarter containing about 16 acres under a lease of lives, renewable [?] and that said Rachel KELLY was possessed of part of the lands of Tombay in said County containing about 42 acres and that a marriage was then intended to be had between said Joseph JACKSON and Rachel KELLY the marriage portion was released and confirmed under the said Joseph BARKER lands of Ardmore now lands of Nimbay [Tombay?] to hold unto the said Joseph BARKER his assigns in trust WITNESS: Joseph NOBLETT Of Hackettstown, Co Carlow, Carpenter, and Charles Moore McMAHON of Carlow, gent and Joseph BARKER of Coolmana, and Memorial is witnessed by Joseph NOBLETT and Thomas NOBLETT, both of Hackettstown, Co Carlow. Rachel JACKSON her Mark. Seal
· 1796 May 3 JACKSON-BARKER
o Deed btw Esther JACKSON of Nashe’s Quarter, Co Carlow, widow & Joseph BARKER Of Coolmana in sd Co... confirm to Joseph BARKER land in Coolmana als formerly called Nash’e Quarter cont 67 acre or thereabouts. Witnessed by Joseph NOBLETT of Hacketstown, Carpenter, John LAMB of Hacketown Shoemaker & Thomas NOBLETT of Hacketstown Carpenter all in Co Carlow & Francis PHILIPS of Coolmana Blacksmith. Esther JACKSON [her mark]
· 1803 January 21
o Recited in Deed: 1834 8 203: bequeathed to the said Rachel by the will of the said Joseph to the said Henry JACKSON his heirs and assigns for and during the natural life of the said Rachel JACKSON and to hold the aforesaid parts of the said lands of Coolmana comprised in the recited indenture of release of the 21st day of January 1803 under the said Henry JACKSON his heirs exors admons and assigns from the day of the date thereof for and during all the rest residue and remainder of the term of one thousand years
· 1809 Nov 21 JACKSON-LAMB
o Joseph JACKSON & Rachel JACKSON of Coolmanna farmer of 1 pt & [James?] LAMB of Hacketstown Merchant,. JACKSONs for £230 sold some lands in Coolmana formerly known as Soliska … Nashes Quarter also mentioned (the script is hard to read)
· 1813-1814 Marriage Arts of William JACKSON of Constable hill, Coolmana. Co Carlow DEED: 667-129-459120
· 1815 & 1816 two deeds
o JACKSON-NOBLETT: 696-581-478077 & 698-256- 478970. I have not read these two deeds. They are recited in Deed: 1834 8 203. To hold all and singular the several lands and premises comprised and mentioned in the therein before recited indenture release of the 19th day of December 1815 and in the said indenture release of the third day of February and 21st day of March 1816 and 14th day of April 1818 unto the said Henry JACKSON his heirs and exors admons and assigns from day of the date thereof for and during the natural life and lives of Joseph PARKER and Abraham PARKER eldest and second sons of Abraham PARKER of Hackettstown
· 1818 JACKSON-NOBLETT Deed: 727-425-496380
· 18th September 1819.
o Francis Jackson of Coolmanna, Carlow wife to Henry Jackson of Coolmanna, Farmer, states on this 18th day of September 1819 after Swearing on the Holy Evangelists that about the Hour of Nine O Clock on the Night of Sunday 12th September 1819 Jane Jackson and Esther Jackson Both of Coolmanna did enter into the dwelling House of the aforesaid and did then and there Feloniously Rob and deprive aforesaid of different articles of wearing apparl Being Worth the Sum of one Pounds five Shillings and Eleven Pence Sterling and at the same time Jane and Esther Jackson did desperately abuse aforesaid to her Great Danger of Life, (signed) Francis Jackson. SOURCE: Pat Purcell Papers.
· 1820 Sept 12 JACKSON-BARKER.
o Btw Henry JACKSON of Coolmana, Co Carlow Farmer of one part & George BARKER of Coolmana Gent of other pt. Reciting indenture May 13, 1778 whereby Esther JACKSON set to Samuel JACKSON... part of Coolmana known as Nashe’s quarters 16 acres... Samuel JACKSON published his last will Feb 22, 1797 and devised to his son Henry JACKSON his interest in the lands with reversion to his daughter Esther JACKSON. Henry JACKSON is heir at law of his father & also devisee under will of Joseph JACKSON dec’d & assignee of his sister Esther, wife of Joseph BRIEN... for 100 pounds lands to George BARKER.. witness Joseph BRIEN of Carrigbrack, Co. Wicklow Farmer & Peter Doherty of Tullow, Co Carlow.
· 1820 September 25:
o 755-357-513292 Memorial registered 25 Sept 1820 of mortgage of 12 Sept 1820 for £100 by Henry JACKSON of Coolmana, Co. Carlow, farmer to George BARKER of said Coolmana, Co. Carlow Gent part of Coolmana alias Nashes qr 16 ½ acre bounded by River Dereen on North by G. BARKER on East by Ester JACKSON on South & West leased 30 May 1788 at 9s an acre by Esther JACKSON to Samuel JACKSON father of above Henry & his daughter Esther who as wife of Joseph BRIEN has assigned her claim to Henry. Esther JACKSON sr in Feb 1790 assigned the rent to her son Henry. Lands are held on lease of lives forever. WITNESSES: Joseph BRIEN of Carrigbrack, Co. Wicklow, farmer; Peter DOHERTY of Tullow, Co. Carlow, writing clerk. Memorial signed by JACKSON.
· 1830 Tithe Applotments. Henry JACKSON had 23 acres in Coolmana, Haroldstown.
· 1834 May 1. Deed: 1834 8 203
· 1834 May 2. Deed 1834 8 204
· 1834 May 3.
o PRONI T808: 834-8-202 Memorial registered 3 May 1834 of Deed of 18 Nov 1833 Henry JACKSON jr. of Hacketstown, Co. Carlow eldest son & heir at law of Thomas JACKSON of Coolmana, Co. Carlow to Henry JACKSON senior of Coolmana, eldest son & heir at law of Samuel JACKSON late of Coolmana, Co. Carlow as to the following portions of Coolmana alias Nashes or in Rathvilly Barony, Co. Carlow. 16 ½ leases 27 May 1788 by Joseph JACKSON. Loheska 38 acres leased 1788 by Estyer [Esther?] JACKSON [ to Thomas JACKSON bounded by River Dereen & Samuel & Joseph JACKSON. Healy & Neals 16 acres Moores 16 acres Murphys 4 ½ acres lease of 9 April 1825 WITNESSES Joshua NUN of Dublin City Gent & his son Henry NUN. Memorial signed by both Henry JACKSONs.
· 1846 Henry JACKSON is on the Voters List for Coolmana.
A possible outline of this JACKSON family tree might look like this: NOTE: I could definitely benefit from other minds working on this.
A possible outline of this SHARP family tree, based on names in Deeds, might look like this:
1 Robert SHARP
Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright
© 2006-2016 Sharon Oddie Brown