The Precinct of Clanchie allotted to Scottish Undertakers.
No. I. 3000 Acres. The Lord Aubignie was the first patentee. Denomination Keneth. He reports that Sir James Hamilton, Knt. „ then held these lands by the names of Keneth, 2000 acres, and Cafhell, alias Castle Aubignie, 1000 acres. A castle was built thereon of lime and stone, which was large and strong, with the King's arms, cut in freestone over the gate. The castle was five stories' high, with four round towers for flankers; the body of the castle fifty feet long, twenty-eight broad ; also a bawne of lime and stone, 80 feet square, with two flankers fifteen feet high. These lands had forty-one families, which consisted of eighty men at arms, of British birth and descent. The castle stood on a meeting of five beaten ways, which commanded all that part of the country; of these families, eight were freeholders, three lease-holders for lives, five ditto for years, and twenty-five cottagers.
II. 1000 Acres. John Hamilton, Esq.Kilclogban. Having a stone house 48 by 24 feet, and 2 (vaulted towers which flanked the house, with a bawne of stone 80 feet square and 13 feet high, with two round towers for flankers 12 feet in diamerer, and a village adjoined the bawne. These lands had 40 armed men in 15 families, of which were 2 freeholders, 6 lessees for years, and 7 cottagers, each cottager then had a house, garden, and commons for 4 cows; there was also another bawne near the former one, 100 feet square, and 11 feet high made of clay and stone.
III. 1000 Acres. Wm. Hamilton, Esq. Dromuck. Having a stone house 36 feet by 20, with a bawne of lime and stone 80 feet square and 13 high with two round towers for flankers, 2 stories high and vaulted, with a village contiguous to the bawne. These lands had 30 armed men in 14 families, of which were 2 freeholders, 3 lessees for lives, 4 for years, and 6 cottagers; all British.
IV. 1000 Acres William Bealie, Esq. Tonregie. Having a vaulted castle 30 feet by 22 with a bawne of lime and stone 90 feet square, with two flankers. These lands had 28 armed men in 10 families, of which two were freeholders, 4 leaseholders for years, and 4 cottagers for years, all Britist1 Inhabitants. ,
The Precinct of Castlerabin, allotted to Servitors and Natives.
V. 1000 Acres. Sir William Taaffe was the first patentee. Mulhgh. He reports that Sir Thomas Ash, Knight, held these lands by the name of Mullogh and that there was an old castle newly repaired, but that all the Inhabitants were Irish.
VI. 1000 Acres. Sir Edmond Phittilace was the first patentee. Carvyn. Sir Thos. Ash, Knight, also held this proportion on which was built a good bawne, of lime and stone 70 feet square, 12 feet high, with two flankers, but that all the land was inhabited with Irish.
VII. 500 Acres. Lieutenant Garth was the first patentee. Murmode. Upon this proportion Was a bawne of sods, and all the Inhabitants were Irish. Sir Thomas Ash, Knt. was in possession.
VIII. 1000 Acres. Capt. Ridgeway was the first patentee Logh-Rammor, alias the manor of Chichester. Captain Culme then held these lands, and a house 14 feet high, on which was a bawne of lime and stone 180 feet square. This bawne stood on a passage and was able to do good service, Captain Culme had conditioned to build a town called Virginia, for which he was allowed 250 acres: at that time, eight timber houses were built with English tenants, and there was a minister who kept a good school.
IX. 400 Acres -» On these lands was a Sir John Elliot, Knt. Muckon. On these lands was a bawne of lime and stone 60 feet square and a small house all the Inhabitants were Irish.
X. 900 Acres. Denomination not mentioned. On these lands was a bawne of sods and an Irish house.
The Precinct of Tullaghgarvy allotted to Servitors.
XI. 1500 Acres. Captain Hugh Culme and Archibald Moore, Esq. Tullavin. He reports that this was a place of great I strength, having a bawne and tower thoroughly finished, Mr. Moore and four English families dwelt there, the rest were Irish
XII. 750 Acres. Sir Thomas Ash and John Ash. Drumsheel On these lands was a bawne of clay and stone, and another of sods 120 feet square, and all the inhabitants were Irish.
XIII. I000 Acres. Mulmorie M'Philip O’Reley. Ittery-Outra. On these lands was a very strong bawne of sods with four flankers and a deep moate, and a good Irish house within it. The proprietor had made no estates,
XIV. 1000 Acres, Captain Reley. Liscannor. On these lands was a bawn of sods and a house in it. The proprietor had made no estates but from year to year, and all his tenants ploughed by yoking their horses from the tail.
XV. 3000 Acres. Mulmorie Oge O'Relie. Denomination not mentioned. On these lands was a bawne of sods and within it an old castle which was then built up, in which the proprietor dwelt. He made no estates and they all ploughed by the tail.
XVI. 2000 Acres. Captain Richard and his brother William Tyrrell. Itterery. On these lands was built a strong bawne of lime and stone 80 feet square, and 12 feet high, with four flankers. The proprietors made no estates.
XVII. 3000 Acres. Maurice Mac-Telligh. Liscurcron. On these lands was a bawne of sods, and a. good Irish house.
The Precinct of Loghtee, allotted to English Undertakers.
XVIII. 1500 Acres, John Taylor, Esq. Aghieduff. He reports that on this proportion was a castle and bawne thoroughly finished, and the the proprietor dwelling therein. On these lands were 54 armed men in 24 families, of which 7 were freeholders, 7 lessees for years, and 10 cottagers in fee, who held from 60 to 30 acres each. A village of 14 houses adjoined, in which was a water mill, the Inhabitants British.
XIX. 2000 Acres. Thos. Waldron, Esq. Dromhim and Dromelan On this proportion was a bawne of sods 200 feet square, with four flankers and a castle of lime and stone within it; a town of 31 houses adjoined, having a wind mill, all the inhabitants were English : this was a great thorough fare and common passage into the country, and had 80 armed men in 53 families, of which 5 were freeholders, 17 lessees for years, and 31 cottagers, each having a house, 2 acres, of land, and commonage for 12 cows.
XX. 2000 Acres, John Fish, Esq. Dromany. On this proportion there was a strong bawne and castle, also 2 villages, each having 10 houses of stone and lime, with 60 armed men in 22 families, having 4 freeholders, 4 lessees for 3 lives, 14 for years, and 14 cottagers, each had a house, garden, and a commonage right for 4 cows, Inhabitants British.
XXI. 1500 Acres, Sir Hugh Wirral, Knt Monaghan. These lands were then tenanted by a Mr. Adwick and on which was a house of lime and stone, 2 stories high, which was purchased by Mr. Adwick. These lands had 8 families with 8 cottagers able to make 26 armed men, and on which were 3 Freeholders, and five lessees. Inhabitants British.
XXII. 2000 Acres Sir Stephen Butler, Knight. Clonofe. On these lands was a castle and bawne of great strength, 2 corn mills, and one fulling mill, and arms within the castle for 200 men; 41 British families besides under-tenants, and 139 armed men, of which 15 were freeholders, 11 lessees for 3 lives, and 15 lessees for years; the Inhabitants all English.
XXIII. 384 Acres. Sir Stephen Butler Knight. Belturbet. Sir Stephen Butler, was to plant a town at Belturbet, for which was an allowance of 384 acres, he was also to build a church; here were houses built of cage work, and all inhabited by English tradesmen, who had each a house, garden, four acres of land, and commons for a certain number of cows and garrons.
XXIV. 2000 Acres. Reynald Home was the first patentee. Lisreagh. On these lands, then enjoyed by Sir George Manneringe was a bawne of lime and stone, 44 feet long and 12 high, with two flankers, also a brick house of same length, 20 feet high, and a village of seven houses, all the families English. On the lands were 24 families and 48 armed men, of which were 3 freeholders, and 21 lessees for years; all the Inhabitants were English.
XXV. 1500 Acres. William Snow was the first patentee. Tonagh. These lands were then enjoyed by Peter Ameas, Esq., on which was a good bawne of lime and stone, 75 feet square, and 12 feet high, with 2 flankers, and a stone house 60 feet long and 3 stories high, and a village of 7 houses; 11 families, 30 armed men, of which 4 were freeholders, and 7 lessees for years; all British.
The Precinct of Clonemahown, allotted to Servitors and Natives.
XXVI. 2000 Acres. Lord Lambert. Carig. He reports that on these lands was a large strong bawne and a stone house.
XXVII 1000 Acres Captain Lyons and Joseph Jones were the first Patentees. Tullacullen. Lord Lambert was then in possession and opn these lands was built a bawn of lime and stone 200 feet square, 14 high, with two flankers and a deep moate; 4 English families without the bawne held land on lease of 21 years.
XXVII 100 Acres. Lieutenants Atkinson and Russell were the first patentees. Denomination not mentioned. Archibald Moore. Esq. Was then in possession of those lands, on which was a strong bawne of sods with two flankers and an Irish house.
XXIX 500 Acres. Captain Fleming. Denomination not mentioned. On these lands was built a strong bawne and a house, both of lime and stone and very strong.
XXX 2000 Acres. Mulmory McHugh O’Reley. Commet. On these lands was a strong house of lime and stone 40 feet by 20, 3 stories in height, and about it a bawne of sods. This proprietor made no estates.
XXI 300 Acres. Philip M’Tirlagh. Wateragh. On these lands was an Irish house surrounded by a bawne of sods.
The Precinct of Tullaghconche.
XXXII. 2000 Acres; Sir Alexander Hamilton was the first patentee. Carotobber &Clonkine. He reports that Jane Hamilton wife to Claude Hamilton deceased, was in possession of these lands on which was a strong castle and bawne of lime and stone, thoroughly finished, having 31 families with divers undertenants, able to muster 52 armed men, of which 6 were freeholders, and 25 lessees; Inhabitants British.
XXXIII. 1000 Acres. Sir Claude Hamilton was the first patentee. Clomny. The said Jane Hamilton was in possession of these lands which she held for her son, a Minor, and on these was a town of 22 houses, the cottagers had a house, garden, 4 acres of land, and a commonage for their cows.
XXXIV. 2000 Acres.Alexander and John Aghmootit were the first patentees. Drumbeda & Kilagh. Sir James Carig, Knt. was in possess1on of this proportion, in which stood a bawne of lime and stone 75 feet square, and 16 feet high, with four round towers to flank the walls; and a strong and large castle, the length of the bawne 20 feet broad, and 5 stories high, and a platform for two pieces of canon. On these lands were 33 families and 100 armed men, 5 freeholders, 7 lessees and 21 cottagers, each having a house, and commonage for cows ; the Inhabitants all British.
XXXV. 1000 Acres. John Brown was the first patentee. Carrowdownan. Of this proportion Archibald Atcheson, Esq. was in possession, , and had a bawne of stone and clay 100 feet square, with four flankers, and 9 feet high, standing on a Mountain. Families 21, and 28 armed men, 2 freeholders, and 19 lessees for years; English and Scottish Inhabitants.
The Precinct of Tullagha.
XXXVI. 1500 Acres. Captain Culme and Walter Talbot. Balleconnell. He reports that upon this proportion there was a strong bawne 100 feet square and 12 high, with two flankers, and within the bawne a strong castle of lime and stone, 3 stories high, and that it stood in a very good and convenient place for the defence of the country.
XXXVII. 2000 Acres. Sir Richard and Sir George Grimes. Denomination not mentioned. On this proportion was built a bawne of lime and stone 60 feet square, and 10 high, and a small house within it.
XXXVIII. 1000 Acres William Parsons, Esq Larga. This proportion was between divers men, | for it was granted for concealments, and they were not bound to build at all.
XXXIX. 1000 Acres. Magawran Denomination not mentioned. a native. On this proportion was built a strong and good house of lime and stone, with a ditch around it.
All these acres amount to 52,324 English measure, which were all the valuable lands in the county, at that time; neither bogs, woods, lakes, mountain, or unprofitable scopes were taken into account, the lands inhabited by British.
The total tot of British families at that period were as follow;
Of these Inhabitants 159 only had taken the oath of supremacy. The lands inhabited by British tenants were cultivated after the English husbandry.
TABLE OF TOWNS AND VILLAGES
M=Market; P=Post town (+ number of days post comes from Dublin)
 William Moore, Esq. now enjoys this estate and resides thereon, it has never been alienated from his family since the original grant.
 This differs from his account, page xxxii.
Site Map | Legal Disclaimer | Copyright
© 2006-2011 Sharon Oddie Brown