Robert Monteagle BROWNE
Margaret MACOURT AKA McCOURT
|Born: September 10th, 1808 Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh,
|Born: Ashdown, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland
|Died: After 1862
|Father: William Monteagle BROWNE (1784-1845)
||Father: John MACOURT
|Mother: Jane JOHNSTON
||Mother: Elizabeth HOWE
Married: 1842 at Letterbreen, Drumbeorg, Parish of Cleenish, Enniskillen.
Thanks to Peter BROWNE, also a great grandson of the above, for sharing the photos of Robert Monteagle BROWNE & Margaret MACOURT AKA McCOURT with me and giving me permission to use them here. Thanks also to Tony BROWNE who first gave me the outline for this tree and to Clyde WILLIAMS (descendant of daughter Margaret BROWNE) who supplied many more details.
NINE KNOWN CHILDREN:
William Browne b: 24 Dec 1842 married Sophia
Eliza Jane Browne b: 28 Jan 1844 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland
Mary Anne Browne b: 04 May 1846 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland married John Howe b: in Springfields, Dromore
John Monteagle Browne* b: 01 Jan 1849 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland d: 18 Feb 1919 in Tullycarnen, Co. Down, Ireland married Susanna M. Edgar b: 30 Mar 1847 in Tullycarnen, Co. Down, Ireland m: 23 Sep 1874 in St. Anne's Cathedral, Belfast, Ireland d: 28 Oct 1921 in St. Nicholas Parish Church, Church of Ireland, Ardglass, Co. Down, Northern Ireland
George Browne b: 03 Nov 1850 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland
Catherine Browne b: 11 May 1853 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland d: 27 Jan 1938
Robert Browne b: 23 Mar 1856 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland d: 1924 in Sidcup, Co. Kent
Rebecca Browne b: 09 Jan 1859 in Glencunny, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland
Margaret Browne b: 08 May 1863 d: 30 Sep 1917 married Thomas Williams m: 20 Feb 1889 in Probably Belfast
*NOTE: John Monteagle BROWNE & Susanna M[artin] EDGAR were my great-grandparents.
I don't know when Robert Monteagle BROWNE died. An 1952 letter from my grandmother, June BROWNE (1881-1964) said: "My grandfather Robert Browne came to Belfast, Ulster to reside & died a young man, broken in spirits and health due to heavy financial losses. Glencunny had passed into other hands." Going by his appearance in the photo as well as the date of his last known child, he probably was not any younger than 54 years of age when he died. The loss of Glencunny must have stung since it seemingly had been leased for several generations (at least back to the mid-1700s).
Glencunny is a townland in the Parish of Rossary, Co. Fermanagh (OS Map #26). It contains 220 acres and is southwest of the town of Enniskillin. It was part of the Magheraboy Estate, part of the COLE Family holdings SEE: Enniskillen Papers at PRONI
- SOURCE: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/492422 Glencunny is known for having good grazing land.
- The 1823-1838 INDEX Tithe Applotment shows a record of a Robert BROWNE at the townland of Ashwoods (AKA Woody Mullaghree), in the Parish of Rossory in 1826. Since our Robert BROWNE would only be 18 years old at this time, I wonder if this Robert BROWNE might be a relation.
- Margaret McCOURT AKA MACOURT was allegedly from Ashtown, Co. Fermanagh, but I can find no listing for such a townland. It is tempting to think that it might be "Ashwoods".
- William M[onteagle?] BROWNE (1784-1845), the father of Robert Monteagle BROWNE, was also born at Glencunny and seemingly also died in the Parish of Rossory, possibly at Glencunny. The name William BROWNE shows up at Glencunny in 1826.
- The father of William M[onteagle?] BROWNE, father James M[onteagle?] BROWNE (1740-1818), was also born at Glencunny.
- A John BROWNE was recorded in the Townland of Drumlion, Parish of Rossory in 1826 as was a Christ[opher?] BROWNE..
- A Hugh JOHNSTON is shown at the townland of Greystone, Parish of Rossory in 1826. (NOTE: A Jane JOHNSTON was the wife of William M[onteagle?] BROWNE (1784-1845), the father of Robert Monteagle BROWNE).
- I do not know how these may tie in, but in the Griffiths Valuation of Fermanagh (1834-35):
- a John BROWN was resident at Henry St, Parish of Rossory, Enniskillen and a Christopher BROWNE was shown leasing 15 acres and a house valued at £1.0.0 at the townland of Lockard Big.
- A more substantial house was leased by a Christopher BROWNE and he also leased another on Mart Street, Parish of Enniskillen valued at £3.10.0.
- A William BROWN leased a house on Dame Street, Enniskillen valued at £5.0.0.
- A Rebecca BROWN leased a moded house valued at $0.0.0 in the townland of Tullyullagh, Parish of Enniskillen (NOTE: One of the daughters of Robert Monteagle BROWN was named "Rebecca".